When you think of a disc jockey (DJ), you probably envision a person behind a turntable booth wearing large headphones playing music. While that picture has some truth to it, there is actually much more to the services of a DJ than meets the eye – er, ear. This is especially important to know when deciding on a DJ entertainment service in Philadelphia to handle the music and fun at your event. You don’t want to wind up with a mediocre performance because you had no idea what you were getting when you hired a DJ. The DJ doesn’t just handle managing the music! Here’s an outline of a DJ’s duties carried out before and during an event to give you an idea of what their services entail.
Before the event, a DJ will
- Get to know you as the party host so that services can be coordinated according to your vision.
- Find out what music you would like at the event.
- Plan and strategize the timing based on the activities of your event.
- Coordinate with other vendors to ensure the event goes smoothly.
- Set up the DJ booth and other equipment in the designated space of the venue.
- Perform a sound check to test out the loudness of the music.
During the event, the DJ will
- Manage the music and play tunes to please people of all ages.
- Keep the atmosphere upbeat and energetic by playing the appropriate songs for each part of the event.
- Work with the MC to make professional announcements to the crowd and manage the event flow.
- Operate any colored lighting effects, spot lights, and monograms.
- Interact with guests to entertain them.
- Take song requests from guests and blend them into the playlist.
- Continue to coordinate with your venue and other vendors as plans usually need to be adjusted as the event goes along.
A DJ is not to be confused with an MC (Master of Ceremonies), whose job is to direct, entertain, and control the atmosphere of the event. However, some DJs are also MCs who can perform both duties at the same time. At our entertainment company, we have a staff of talented professionals who possess the skills to keep the party energetic and fun the entire time.
As you can see, wedding DJs in Bucks County and other communities have a much bigger list of tasks than simply playing and managing music. Many aspects of an event depend on a DJ – the music, atmosphere, direction, timing, vibe, and entertainment. If you are looking for a talented and skilled DJ for your party, contact us today to get the planning started. Dancing and having fun to the beat of the music is something your guests will remember about your event even years after it has ended. The color of the tables, the centerpieces, and the invitation – not so much.